1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F as you begin to mix ingredients.
2. Cook 1 cup sugar in a medium-size saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes or until sugar melts and turns to a light caramel color. Quickly pour the caramel mix into your Springform pan. Using oven mitts tilt the dish to evenly coat the bottom to just above the lip of the pan where it fits into the ring. Let this stand at room temperature for about 5 minutes while the sugar hardens.
3. Whisk together the egg yolks and the next 5 ingredients in a large bowl.
4. Blend the egg whites, cream cheese and remaining ½ cup sugar using your hand mixer at medium to high speed until real smooth. Stir the egg white mixture thoroughly into the yolk mixture. Pour this all through a wire-mesh strainer into a large bowl, using a soft spatula to gently work it through.
5. Place your roasting pan in the heated oven. Gently place the Springform pan in the roasting vessel and add hot water about 1/3 of the way up the side of the dish.
6. Bake for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Remove the dish from the water bath; cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours.
7. Run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen. Place serving dish on top of pan and invert quickly. Loosen Springform clip and allow flan to drop to serving plate. Gently lift the bottom of the pan straight up from the flan and allow the caramel to drizzle over the side. Enjoy!
Take two classic desserts, add some inspiration and you’ll have a memorable finish to any meal! When Caliber Home Loans, Inc. handles your next mortgage or refinance, we’ll deliver another inspiring combination: high-tech loan processing and traditional customer service. Call Eric 717-725-1088